Saturday, January 29, 2011

A new approach

The things I need to improve upon are too numerous to name here... but we'll just start off with a few. Namely, tracking what I eat.

Oh yeah, and that whole exercise thing.

So I'm going to skim right over the "E" word, and talk about my tracking. Or lack thereof. I know I need to keep track of what I'm eating. I really know I need to be paying attention to serving sizes.

I've gotten pretty lax in paying attention to portion control, and keeping track of what goes in my mouth. I've been focusing on trying to eat healthier options - which is all well and good. But to be honest, I don't eat the healthy option all the time, which is why I need a better understanding of portion control.

So I've decided to make my neurosis work for me. I'm going to take a picture of everything I eat. I think this will work because:
  • it forces me to put the food on a plate instead of eating it straight out of the bag.
  • If I put a picture of a large pepperoni pizza and a package of oreos on here, I'm going to feel like an ass. The words in black and white are bad enough - but a full color picture? It's hard to kind of gloss over that, ya know? .
  • Feeling like an ass will make me think twice (or third?) about what I'm actually eating. Am I willing to show people I ate this?  
And you know what - it already worked! I would normally have gnawed on my almonds straight from the bag, and undoubtedly gone over the portion size. But instead I put 24 almonds on a napkin and took a picture.

I also took a picture of the AWESOME salad I had from Qdoba for lunch. Romaine lettuce, black bean and corn salsa, fat free picante ranch dressing, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, light cheese (next time I'll go cheeseless), and grilled chicken. It was really spicy - but I sucked down my entire 20oz water, so that's a good thing. At almost $7 for the salad it's a little pricey but it's really freakin good!

The downfall: Going out to eat... I hate to call attention to my eating in public as it is - what am I going to do if there are people around? Heaven forbid if we're out with friends. How am I going to explain taking a picture of my food?

Well, sometimes I just won't have a pic. I'll try to find something close online, and if it comes down to it I'll describe it the best that i can.

So here we go!

Breakfast. Whole wheat bagel, regular cream cheese (approx 3Tbsp)






This was before I knew I was photo-journaling, cut me some slack!














Awesome lunch!













and my nice healthy snack

and since I was getting the munchies again after work, I stopped and got a granola bar!
Ok, the granola bar doesn't deserve an exclamation point (not that it was bad.... but, it's a granola bar...) but the fact that I picked it over the chips, crackers, candy, and chicken nuggets that all crossed my mind certainly does!





(BTW, these things take a while to eat! My jaw muscles are sore!)














It's a long time till my hubby gets home from work (he gets off at 9, I get off at 5. Makes for a late dinner and doesn't help my after work munchiness)

so a while later I had some Baked Tostitos and Salsa

10 Baked Tostitos scoops.


For dinner I had a small chili and plain baked potato from Wendy's. I used my low fat butter (1tbsp)/sour cream (2Tbsp), and it was better than I thought it would be,


For dessert, I had a single Ferrero Rocher Chocolate Truffle. Have you had those? Little chocolate/hazelnut bites of heaven. They come in packs of 3, I only ate 1 and had my husband hide the rest. :)

and that's it for today.  Not toooo bad, right?











1 comment:

  1. You are doing great! Just keep at it day by day. Perhaps focus on one or two changes at a time and when those are down, move on to something else. My first goals were to stop fast food and not buy processed food. Those are past me now and I'm working on paying attention to when I have had enough and stop. I have quit the Clean Plate Club. And exercise. There is always exercise. So hard to get motivated on that one. Sorry for the long comment, I hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete