Monday, January 3, 2011

Here we go!

It's Monday, Jan 3rd. And I am now officially on my.... diet? (well, yeah - but it's a little more than that) ...journey? (oh Lord, now I sound like The Biggest Loser or The Bachelor or something) ... lifestyle change? (closer, but how do I say "no thanks, I'll pass on the cake. I'm on a lifestyle change!").

So we'll go w/ diet for now.

Ok, back to the point. I've done some prep work for my diet!
  • Kitchen is purged of holiday leftovers (ok, mostly. All the good stuff, anyway). You should see the bag of stuff my husband has to take in to work. Fudge and cookies and candy and truffles, oh my! He should get major points w/ the guys today! I would've brought some in to my work, but I probably would've been stoned by all my super health conscious co-workers.
  • A few exercise videos are recorded on the DVR. Something about boxing, some sort of pilates thing, and.... something else.
  • I've also set the DVR to record The Biggest Loser - Couples. I figure where exercise fails, guilt will prevail!

Now on the the actual food consumption portion of the diet. I brought oatmeal to work today! Real, unsweetened, unflavored oatmeal. I nuked it in the microwave w/ some dried cranberries and walnuts and a couple packets of splenda. I'd like to report it was fabulous. That it cured my craving for a bagel w/ cream cheese, gave me instant energy, and awoken a greater spiritual understanding.

Unfortunately, not so much. It was just okay. Not bad. Just.... eh. The cranberries and walnuts definitely helped, but it still needed something. A pinch of salt maybe? Some cinnamon and/or nutmeg? Hungry Girl talks about adding a few tablespoons of pumpkin puree to oatmeal. It sounds pretty good, and I brought a can of pumpkin to work with me to give it a shot. Unfortunately, my can opener appears to be MIA. I'll have to report on that tomorrow.

So breakfast was warm, filling, and healthy. The taste was decent, and I think can be improved upon. We'll call that a win.

I didn't bring lunch today, which means going out. I'm thinking Subway... I can get a 6" veggie or turkey sub and some baked lays. I wish Subway offered hummus as a spread.

Dinner tonight is another challenge. Maybe a big salad?  I really need to go to the grocery store, but payday is Thursday. So it will be foraging till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment