Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cosmic Humor

As is usually the case, I was running late this morning. I didn't have anything quick to grab for breakfast. No fruit, no yogurt... nothing. (I did manage to grab a Lean Cuisine pizza and a pudding cup for lunch, thank goodness)

Of course, I get to work and I'm starving.

So I scrounge around in my desk drawer and find some blah oatmeal. At least it's warm, right? No taste at all is better than a bad taste, right?

Then, inspiration hits. I have a little bag of mulling spice that I brought to put in tea. It's got all kinds of flavors like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and orange. It does have some sugar in it, but I won't use much.... Perfect! I'm actually pretty stoked about my "mulled" oatmeal!

So I've got it in the microwave, and it's smelling all yummy, and my tummy is rumbly.... and someone comes into the breakroom, and I have a brief conversation..... and as I turn to check my oatmeal, I find it has erupted in a hot beige magma-like flow all over the freakin' microwave.

Fab - u - lous.

So I cleaned out the microwave in front of many an amused co-worker, and as I had no oatmeal left, I have made do w/ crap coffee for breakfast.








But the oatmeal I secretly licked off my finger tasted pretty good..... *sigh*


Speaking of beige foods, a co-worker brought in some home made hummus yesterday.... it was really good, and my love of hummus is great -so I thought it would be cool to make my own. I'd love to put some extra Kalmata Olives in, and play w/ different spices and such. The ingredient list is really simple: canned chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini paste. After I finally found the tahini paste (by the peanut butter. I figured it would be with the international foods. Silly me.) It was $10 for a smallish jar! So now I'm trying to use my meager math skills to figure out if I'm actually saving anything. (Do you smell smoke?)

So, more to come on that later.








(Random aside: Dear co-worker with the 25lb bag of peanut M&M's. If I have to hear that bag rattle one more time, knowing the cruchy-chocolatey goodness it contains, I will be forced to snatch the bag from your hand and beat you mercilessly with it. XOXO)

Dinner tonight, spaghetti. Whole wheat pasta, veggies, and some lean ground beef. Nothing exciting, but cheap. Yaaaay Cheap!

However, I have found a recipe for Tortellini Soup that looks pretty yummy... and while Tortellini aren't so good for you, I think the amount of actual 'llini's you'd be getting is far less than if you had it as a part of a main dish. The ingredients are pretty simple: olive oil, garlic, onion, oregano, chicken or vegetable broth, canned whole tomatoes, salt and pepper, cheese tortellini, fresh spinach, and Parmesan cheese.

(photo courtesy of http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/)
Looks really yummy, right? (minus the hunk of bread and slab of cheese, of course)

In other news, back to Intermezzo this weekend. Intermezzo of the evil pizzas and 1/2 price therefore equally evil martinis. 

*whimper*





2 comments:

  1. AW! I'm sorry about your breakfast, it sounded good too. I love the photo of the little girl, so cute. The soup looks pretty good too, may have to try that myself.

    Thank you so much for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. You are right, it is soooo inspiring when you know someone is cheering you on.

    I hope you have a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your breakfast!!! That sounded really tasty!!!


    I've attempted to make hummus before but it just has never turned out as good as my beloved Athenos kind.

    The tortellini soup looks delicious! You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete